The Praktina System
Praktina N and Pentacon Super
Camera Name: Praktina N
Production date: 1964
Estimated Production: Prototype
Source: SpiegelReflexKameras aus Dresden, Richard Hummel
Remark: The Praktina N is a prototype of 1964 with a TTL meter finder and provision for motor and 17m magazine back. This camera was the basis for research work of a new professional SLR system based on lenses with 42x1 screw mount.
Camera Name: PENTACON super
Production date: 1968 - 1972
Estimated Production: c. 5,000
Normal Lenses: Pancolar 1.4/55 or Pancolar 1.8/50
The camera and the system that is heir to Praktina
The project of Praktina N will work out a new camera and a new system. The VEB PENTACON DRESDEN presented the prototype of the Pentacon Super at the Leipzig Trade Fair in September 1966 and the definitive version at the Leipzig Trade Fair in September 1968.
The Pentacon Super provides the professional and scientific worker with a superb camera which represents the culmination of 40 years experience in the design of 35mm Single Lens Reflex cameras. This camera flew in the space with the Soyuz 4 in 1969.
• Vertical running metal blade focal plane shutter giving speeds from 10 sec. to 1/2000 sec. and B.
• Synchronized for electronic flash up to 1/125 sec. also F and FP setting.
• Through-the-lens metering by means of a beam splitter and double sized CdS cell incorporated in detachable prism finder; reading taken at full aperture or on the stop-down principle.
• Standard lenses with M42 mount: Zeiss Pancolar 55mm f1.4 or 50mm 1.8 with fully automatic diaphragm.
• A range of interchangeable lenses from Zeiss and Meyer with focal lengths from 20mm to 1000mm; (20mm, 35mm, 135mm with fully automatic diaphragm and two-pin operation; 180mm and 300mm with semi-automatic diaphragm).
• Interchangeable viewing screens from Zeiss and waist level finder.
• The meter needle, F stops number, shutter speed and readiness for action indicator are all clearly visible in the viewfinder.
• 17 meters (450 exposures) magazine back with cassette and electric motor drive (two frames per sec.) with an electromagnetic release for remote camera control.
The Praktina System
Praktina FX model DS
Praktina FX model M
Praktina FX model SA1
Praktina FX model SA2
Praktina FX model SA3
Praktina IIA model A
Praktina IIA model DA
Praktina N - Pentacon Super
Lenses with PK mount
Carl Zeiss Jena
Motor and Winder
Copyright © 2000-2015 Alberto Taccheo. All rights reserved.
Last Revision: June 2015