|| SITE MAP |||| PREVIOUS PAGE | NEXT PAGE ||
THE PRAKTINA SYSTEM
The First Generation
At the Trade Fair in Leipzig, in September 1953, the VEB Kamera-Werke Niedersedlitz released the PRAKTINA FX with its definitive aspect and with small changes compared with the last prototypes. The camera has the mechanism to close automatically the diaphragm to the pre-selected aperture of the semi-automatic lenses and two coaxial PC connectors for bulb and electronic flash units.
The Praktina FX was the first 35mm SLR in the world to introduce:
• a mechanism, placed inside the camera body, to control the shutting of the diaphragm to the selected aperture of the semi-automatic lenses
• a single-axis non-rotating dial with shutter speed settings from 1" to 1/1000"
• the capability to use an Electric Motor or a Spring Motor
• the capability to use a 17m Magazine Back for up to 450 pictures
The Praktina, with its high technical specifications, was an outstanding camera compared to the others SLR cameras available on the market at that time such as Asahiflex, Exakta Varex, Exa, Zenith, Alpa, Rectaflex, Praktica, Pentacon, Wrayflex and Contaflex.
The Praktina sports a set of innovative features that place it remarkably ahead of its time. It took seven years to see a new SLR camera, the Nikon F, with the same professional features.
Praktina FX model DS
|Manufacturer Name||VEB Kamera-Werke Niedersedlitz|
|Factory Designation||Praktina FX|
|Presentation||Leipzig trade fair, September 1953|
|Number produced||approx. 1,000|
|Variations||The diaphragm's control for semi-automatic lenses is missing.|
|Praktina FX model DS version 1 No. 20581 with semi-automatic Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 2/58mm and eye-level finder|
Model and Version Identifiers
• "Praktina FX" engraved on the front of the camera
• Two coaxial PC connectors for X and B flash sync (fig. 1)
• Half-size camera back hooking (fig. 2)
|Version 1||• Diaphragm's control for semi-automatic lenses (fig. 3)|
|Version 2||• The diaphragm's control for semi-automatic lenses is missing (fig. 4)|
|| PREVIOUS PAGE | NEXT PAGE ||
Last modified: December 16, 2019
Copyright © 2000-2020 Alberto Taccheo. All rights reserved.